Our toys have been manufactured to be as safe as possible for pets. Dogs, in particular, explore objects with their mouths, much like young children. If indigestible objects of a certain size are swallowed they can cause bowel blockages, which may require surgical intervention.
Each toy comes in a variety of sizes and each is appropriate for a size range of dog. Owners must choose the correct size toy to reduce the risks of the toy being swallowed whole or quickly broken up into large pieces, which may cause a blockage if swallowed.
Many pet toys are designed to be chewed and destroyed slowly and only small pieces break off, which if swallowed will pass through the bowel. Eventually the bulk of the toy may be reduced to a size that could be swallowed and at this point owners have a responsibility to throw it away and buy a new one.